Saturday, October 20, 2012

HALLOWEEN GIFT CAN AND A BIRTHDAY LUNCH!

I married into a family of very awesome women.  Whenever one of us has a birthday, we get together and have "Birthday Ladies Lunch".  This week it was my Aunt Jeanne's Birthday.  She is an amazing woman.  A retired high school teacher who loved her job and managed to retire with her sense of humor intact.  She underwent a kidney transplant when she was 70 that gave us all a scare.  We are very blessed to have her with us and I appreciate every minute I get to spend with her.  Now we don't do birthday gifts at Ladies Lunch, just cards.  However, I wanted to give her a little something sweet and handmade.  (I am a crafter after all.)  Sam calls her Aunt Sweetie sometimes and she does have a bit of a sweet tooth, so made her a gift can with some special fall sweetness inside.
Isn't that a fun looking Halloween Gift Can?  Kind of shabby and chic with it's ragged bow and hounds tooth cover.
Remember last week when I got my special package in the mail from Donna, who blogs at Distressed Donna Down Home?  It came wrapped in the cutest paper and I said I couldn't throw it away.
 Well, I'm glad I didn't, because with some double stick tape, an empty can, that tissue and fabric ribbon, I was able to make that cute can in about 5 minutes.  Seriously.
I put a piece of double-stick tape on the can, cut the tissue paper to size and wrapped it around it.  I cut two slits in the plastic lid, put both ends of the ribbon up through them from the underside, trimmed it and tied a bow.  Done.
What did I put inside to satisfy Aunt Sweeties sweet tooth? Well.....
 Keri who blogs at Shaken Together, made this "to die for" Caramel Apple Munch Mix and you can find the recipe HERE.  Keri made so many wonderful recipes in September, that I'm kind of blaming her for my jeans being a little snug this week!  She has a blog full of great ideas and yummy recipes, not to mention a fun Link Party every Friday.  Go check her out at Shaken Together.  She's as sweet as can be!
We ate lunch at a restaurant called Ocean Zen.  They have a wonderful menu featuring Pacific Rim style cuisine in a modern, contemporary setting.  I ordered the Bento Box, which is a good sampling of some of their best items.  I wish I had taken a picture of that Bento Box because it was just lovely.  But, I was hungry and I'm pretty sure it's not quite proper to whip out your camera and snap food pictures right when someone elses birthday lunch is being served!  My meal consisted of  Miso soup, Rice, a California Roll (that's sushi!), Crab Wonton, 2 pc. Pork Gyoza, Asian Slaw, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Macadamia Nut Chicken.  It was a lot of food and all of it wonderful!  It was my first experience eating sushi and my sister-in-law Jen, was kind enough to show me the proper way to eat it!  I have to say it was delicious and I will order it again!
Besides the wonderful food at Ocean Zen, one of the things we love best is the huge salt water  aquarium that seems to just explode out of the wall with gorgeous fish and colorful anemone.  We always request a seat next to it!
These are the wonderful women in my life and I'm so grateful to be able to call them family! (My sainted mother-in-law at the back left, across from her is the birthday girl, her sister Jeanne, front left is my fabulous sister-in-law, Jen and yours truly.)  After our meal, we had coffee and they brought Aunt Jeanne a birthday dessert....Creme Brulee with a candle in it!
Happy Birthday Aunt Jeanne!  You are loved very much!

Linking up to any or all of the fine parties listed HERE.

23 comments:

  1. Oh, what a wonderful outing! Your family is very special and endearing!!! You really do come up with the cutest ideas on how to re-purpose items! I think that can be the title of another post for you! Love what you did, Danni and the apple munch mix looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your aunt! I can not even remember when was the last time I saw ANY of my family besides my husband and kids. It is great when family can visit each other :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani! Love the new look on your blog!! Enjoyed reading this post. I've never eaten at Ocean Zen, but heard its good :) The tin turned out adorable. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! I love that you reused wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice birthday theme to have among you ladies. I'm like you, like to save the pretty gift papers and bags! I like the ideas of home made gifts too.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tin,, love me some houndstooth. I also have a million formula cans - that could cover a lot of birthdays.
    Sounds like a fun birthday tradition

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know where to start!

    Great birthday luncheon-neat gift!- cool aquarium-how the hell did they stick a candle in the top of caramelized hard sugar?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for your cool girls' lunches and happy birthday to the star of the day. That caramel apple snack looks delish, and very cute, October-y packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've made that cute and stylish at the same time! Now I know why I been saving coffee cans. I just love a ladies lunch with where everyone takes their time and yacks their heads off! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like tremendous fun - the food must have been super-yummy. I am so glad that you reused the wrapping on this can of sweets. In my family gifts always come in reusable wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awe that sounds like so much fun! The women in my family need to take up the ladies lunch tradition :) I love the shabby chicness of the bow and that recipe looks amazing! What a good friend you are! Great job Danni :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you had a blast and that birthday creme brulee is so fun! Thanks for the sweet shout out for my blog ... you are a fantastic supporter and friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful ladies in your life...and what fun! I'm sure the food was fabulous! That can is super cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely that you can spend time together! That snack mix sounds wonderful, and I love what you did with the container, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all looks so fab Danni... of course I love that huge fish tank - just beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute--love the spots and houndstooth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm starving now! Looks like the best kind of celebration~ good food and good people!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful present! And these apple thingys look very delicious! It is great that you have such wonderful people in your family (and that you are able to appreciate them!)
    hugs to you dear Danni

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really cute..I love doing gift cans!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful tradition, Danni! You are one lucky girl. Love what you did with Donna's paper and what you filled the can with - YUM! I'm sure the Caramel Apple Munch Mix satisfied Aunt Sweetie's sweet tooth! What a great post recapping a fun day for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you all had a wonderful time! The can is beautiful too. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun - what a great gift! I've pinned this as well - thanks for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really sweet! Thank you for sharing this. And also the Recipe. I really appreciate it! Thanks again.

    || Send Gifts to Philippines ||

    ReplyDelete